aka Seven Things. aka Confess!
1. I’m a card carrying SCA fighter. I haven’t fought in about a year, but I have every intention of returning this spring.
(Wearing armour in the cold and wet sucks. What sucks even more is wearing armour in the cold and wet, and then getting beaten with sticks.)
I have a full set of armour, much of which I made myself. Thanks to that experience, I now have the skills required to build armour, including basic metalsmithing, basic to advanced leatherworking, and expert chain maille. Ergo, I am a total geek with a very high pain tolerance, a knack for tools, and a penchant for beating grown men and woman about the head and body with sticks, and a tendency to occasionally dress in funny clothes (some of which I also made myself). Fear me.
2. I am a pyromaniac. When I was a kid, I built a fire on my front steps out of newspaper, took a disposable camera (they were the latest thing!), stuck my hand in the fire and took a picture. I never did develop that film, but I really really wish I had. Heck, I might try it again someday.
3. I’m convinced that I will die in a car accident. I’m hoping that the fact that I *am* convinced of that, will cause me to be more cautious. So far so good. *knock on fake wood laminate*
4. I’m not sure this one counts, because it’s not something I did, but I didn’t really see any rules. And I just have to get this out – I’ve never told anyone this. A friend of mine, who I used to hang out with a lot years ago but have since lost touch with, had a cat. A calico cat named Q. She was cute, and young. And unfixed. Sooo, my friend, who was living on very meager means at the time, couldn’t afford to have her fixed. And then cute little Q went into heat. My friend was working hard at home on her career as a fashion designer, and got so frustrated with Q’s incessant yowling that she one day took a Q-tip to Q. Yep, you got it…she fucked her cat Q with a Q-tip. Apparently it worked though, Q was…satisfied.
5. I watched the very first video on MTV. I know lots of people who *know* that Video Killed the Radio Star was the first video, but I don’t know a lot of people who watched MTV go on the air. It’s kind of a cool memory to have.
6. I used to be fluent in French. It was a pretty weird feeling when I realized it. I was walking down the street, just thinking about the stuff I had to do, and people I needed to talk to, so in my head was “Blah blah blah blah blah” Except I realized, mid street crossing!, that what I was actually thinking was “ze Blah ze blah ze blah ze blah ze blah mais oui! Zut alor!”! Have you ever thought in a foreign language without realizing it, and then realize it? Weird. It’s long gone, of course, since I quit using it as my relatives learned English/passed away, but those synapse highways are pretty fused. The cool thing is that I realized not only could I pick up French again pretty quick if I needed to, I could probably do Spanish pretty darn quick too. But what I really want to learn is Portuguese, so I can talk about saudade. There’s no real english translation, but I am intimately familiar with the feeling.
7. I am a feeling person. I live in my feelings. So it should come as no surprise that I am a total romantic, with a streak of realism that’s been beaten into me. I truly believe in love, in all its forms, and in my opinion it is one of the most important things in the world. It is human connection. In my mind, it is the reason we exist; to foster, create and perfect those human connections. And as love, connection, exists on a human scale, so it exists in others as well. Love exists in the attraction of planets, and in the attraction of electrons to protons. It is the compulsion to unite. But then, my beliefs have been called ‘the science of faith’. And I better quit there before I get all preachy…I have a tendency to do that when I get on this topic.
I knew I should’ve been a physicist. Damn. Physics is the branch of science most likely to prove the existence of G-d.
There. Thanks @jarvitron for taggin me, and I mean that in the nicest way. I’ll tag @cecivirtue, @djtv, @metroknow, and @camikaos.
Thanks for the tag – only prob is I’m not familiar with the 7 things. Can you ‘splain? No? Is too much? How bout sum up? 🙂
AND – SCA eh? I can see that! 🙂 I had a mgr who was big into SCA. She came back from weekends of combat completely bruised. Sounded like, uh, fun? 🙂
Ha! Yeah bruises are a constant companion when fighting. That’s where the high pain tolerance comes in handy…
As for ‘splainin, let me sum up: I have no idea. Just 7 things that seem like they’re asking to be blogged about, I guess. Just go with it 😀 That’s pretty much what I did.
oh look, now I have something to write about tomorrow…
PS: SCA… now I have a clearer idea of why you’d know how to make a full leather body suit.
Perhaps I can get all my Kendo stuff and you can get your SCA stuff and we can battle to THE PAIN!
LOL! To the death?
Nooo. To the pain.
Um…I don’t think I’m quite familiar with that phrase…
I missed the ce… ???
N’est-ce pas? French for, isn’t that so?